NOT FOR SALE - COPY AVAILABLE

PHOTOGRAPH INFORMATION

NAME(s): Waneta, Texas Normal School
PHOTOGRAPH: # 881
WRITTEN ON SIGN: A branch of the W.C. Hogan Normal, Taught By W. R. Campbell
                                  Waneta, Texas
PHOTOGRAPHER: Unknown
BOARD SIZE: 23.25 cm x 24 cm
WHERE PURCHASED: Houston, Texas
WHEN PURCHASED: January 27, 2005
CONDITION: Poor, Cracked, Very Fragile, Pieces of board broken


RESEARCHED INFORMATION

WANETA, TEXAS. located off Farm Road 228 ten miles northeast of Grapeland in northeastern Houston County, was established around 1899, when a post office opened; it operated until 1909. In 1915 the population was ten. In the mid-1930s the small community had a school and a number of houses. The school was later consolidated with Percilla school, and by the mid-1960s only a community center and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

SOURCES